Update on the Summer List
Whew, we’ve had a JAM packed summer for sure! Zoo’s and festivals and crafts and swimming! If only all the summers could be like this one, I would be a happy happy mamma.
But, we’ve still got some fun things left on our summer list that are begging to be done before we get into apple picking and hayrides.
1. go to the beach. I want to go to rideau beach out near Kemptville, apparently I went there quite often myself when I was a child so I’d like to go to give my kids the same experience!
2. Montreal for a day. I fear this one will go undone. The Biodome has been closed due to labour problems for quite some time and I don’t want to make the drive and not make a trip to Biodome. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they will re open sooner rather than later.
3. Smith Falls Train Museum. There’s an activity room, loads of trains to walk through and climb up and around. Cake was only about 18 mos old when she went last and LOVED it. It was also the first time she watched t.v., there was a tv in the activity room playing Thomas the train, she was memorized!!
4. Canal Boat Tour. This is one for just S. Geek and I as the tours are all about 90 minutes and I don’t think that Nay or Cake will enjoy it. Not sure this one is going to happen either since babysitting in this neck of the woods is scarce!!
5. Lumiere Festival. It’s Saturday September 4th, from 5-10pm. It’s a bit of a trek for us but I think that Cake will love to get dressed up as her best fairy to go and run about the lanterns. I looked into to doing a workshop but unfortunately they start pretty early in the am, so that means I’d have to go through downtown at rush hour so it’s not going to happen.
6. Upper Canada Village! We always seem to get there during the winter but summer seems elusive for us. The miniature train re-opened just this past week so I’m going to see if I can get S. Geek to find some time for us all to go in the next few days.
7. See a movie at the Port Elmsley Dive In. We’ve had many opportunities to go but unfortunately all the movies they’ve been showing in the early slot have been PG so far this summer. Not appropriate for 2 or 3 year olds. Come on Port Elmsley, throw me a bone!!
8. Splash Park. I’ll be OK if I miss this one too, we’ve been swimming almost every day this summer.
9. The Haunted Walk of Ottawa Tour. SIGH. I’ve been trying to go all. summer. long. To no avail, I should add. This is again, one for just S. Geek and I, and it seems that no matter when we try to get a babysitter to do this we get soooooo close and then it falls apart. I want to go before it gets to cold at night, I’ve lived in Ottawa most of my life and have never been. This is my unicorn.
So, that’s it. A lot to accomplish before the summer is through, it seems though that the temperature is dipping every day reminding us that summer is fleeting. Back to school displays are getting emptied out and fall and hallowe’en items are replacing them. I suppose before long I’ll be working on getting our Autumn list ready, actually I have to admit that I’ve already gotten a small list assembled in my head.
How has your summer been? I hope you’ve had as much fun as we have!